Capt. Tibor Farkas Sr

Capt. Tibor Farkas SrQuick Facts

Born: 04/16/1912, Budapest, Buda
Died: 10/28/1980, Orange, California
Spouse: Mrs. Ilona Garay Farkas
Number of children: 1

In Hungary
Education: Ludovika Military Academy, Budapest
Occupation: Military Officer
Active role in the revolution: YES

TiborFarkas had always set his mind of serving the country through the Military. After graduating from the Ludivica, he entered the Army and spent some years until transferred to the Mechanized Corps.  He was transferred again to join the Csaba Kiralyfi Cadet Academy in Marosvasarhely, Romania, where he was teacher and instructor of Cadets. In the fall of 1944 the Soviet Army pushed into that region, forcing the Academy to flee to safety in Germany. After his return to Budapest in early 1946, he was later joined by his family in the Fall and worked the family farm until its confiscation and his incarceration.

Captain Tibor Farkas was incarcerated after WWII by the Communist Regime. He was sentenced for 10 years imprisonment on charge of espionage for the US. He spent a total of 3 1/2 years in the coal mines in Varpalota and Csolnok. He was released by the Revolution in November 1956. The regime required him to return to prison to complete his entence after the revolution. He decided to defect with his family.
He crossed the border on Dec 6th, 1956, and entered Vienna and stayed there in refugee camps until emigrating to the US in Nov. 1957.

In United States of America
Arrival: 1957, NY
Education: he completed various training and English courses to qualify for work and union membership
Occupation: Maintenance Mechanic
Workplace: Dobeckmun Div of Dow Chemical, Cleveland 1958-1961; North American Aviation, Downey, Ca 1962-1970, Downey, California

Awards: Received Apollo and Space Shuttle Program Plant Management awards for dedicated and efficient work

Captain Tibor Farkas’ history is one of those who suffered for the United States of America before he ever entered the country. His patriotism for his homelamd drove him to its defense in WWII, which doomed him for torture, imprisonment, loss of all property and freedom for three and a half years. He broke free of prison a broken and damaged man. He chose to leave his homeland only under pressure from his family.
After a year of refugee status in Vienna, he started his working career in Cleveland as the lowest paid janitor, later general maintenance worker, jobs little fitting to his educational and professional background. He did it without rebellion or complaint. He was too proud to accept unemployment, instead he accepted whatever job he was offered.
Slowly, in California, he rose in responsibility and retired after decades of honorable work.
He lived in retirement at the Ontario California Hungarian Reformed Church, moved until the end of his life to be near his son in Orange, Ca.

Comments are closed.